Teachers' Guide | Graduate School of Life Sciences

Force majeure during a test or examination

The formal procedure for non-participation in a test due to force majeure is described in art. 5.8 of the Education and Examination Regulations (EER) and art. 2.4 of the Rules and Regulations.

Students must inform the course coordinator and the academic counsellor via email as soon as possible if they are not able to participate in a test, final examination, or resit of a course* due to illness or other forms of force majeure. This email must include the student’s name, student number, course name and code, date, and time of the test as well as the reason for absence. If students want to participate in the resit examination (or a supplementary/alternative test), they need to contact the academic counsellor to submit an official request to the Board of Examiners (BoE). This request is only taken into consideration if the absence for the original examination is correctly reported. The request should be supported by evidence of the force majeure, if available.

The academic counsellor informs the course coordinator when an additional testing possibility is granted.

* This procedure only applies in case the student is not able to participate in a test or final examination. If the student is not able to participate in another compulsory education component of a course, they should contact the course coordinator.

Online proctoring

Students can submit an official request to the BoE for an exam via online proctoring as a special provision if they cannot take an exam on location due to corona related circumstances.

The student needs to e-mail the academic counsellor to submit this request. The request can be made by either the student, course coordinator, and/or examiner. Please add ‘URGENT proctoring’ to the e-mail subject. Individual proctoring has to be requested at the latest at 09:00 am on the working day before the exam.

If a student cannot take an exam on location due to a non-corona related force majeure and would like to request provision for testing in special cases (which might be online proctoring) this may be possible in certain cases. The student should make the request through the academic counsellor who will discuss it with the BoE.